Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Triple Chocolate Stout Cake with Kaluah Cream Cheese Frosting

      Earlier this week I got a text message asking for ideas about cupcakes.  We talked about peanut butter cupcakes with a Hershey's kiss dropped in it before it was baked, and we talked about pumpkin cupcakes.  There was talk about making individual cheesecakes with Oreo or chocolate chip cookies as the "crust" in the bottom and then I said it, chocolate cupcakes with Kaluah cream
cheese frosting.  The second I typed those words in my phone the idea was stuck in my head.  And when I get something on my mind I just have to do it, but I really didn't need a cake sitting around my apartment just to be eaten, that would ruin my diet.  Luckily I have a great outlet for these kinds of things at Hopsewee Plantation
      For the cake itself I finally decided on a recipe that I have had great success with in the past a Chocolate Stout Cake that I found on Epicurious.  The stout compliments both the chocolate and the coffee flavors that are such a big part of this cake.  I used a double chocolate stout, which is the reason I call this cake a triple chocolate stout cake.   A few warnings and amendments to this recipe.  First, I will say that this recipe makes a huge amount of batter.  Also it calls for calls for 8 inch pans, but your cake will be extremely tall if you do this, even in 9 1/2 inch pans my cake would not fit under my cake dome.  I would even go as far as to say that you might want to do a 3 layer 8 inch cake and 4 cupcakes.  Also take the oven down to 325 and check at 40 min, the edges of the cake get a little crispy before the center is done otherwise.  While the cake is cooling get your Kaluah frosting going, and be sure the fully cooled before frosting. 
      Because it is often too sweet for me, I usually will opt for a French or Italian buttercream (ie frosting made with eggs) instead of a simple buttercream, but I didn't feel like fighting with the Kahlua in the egg mixture.  So I made a simple buttercream, which you will be delighted to know really just means butter (and cream cheese in this case) and powdered sugar.  This Kaluah frosting turned out to be awesome, just remember you will need a good bit of it, this is a big cake.  Start out by softening
2 lbs cream cheese and
2 sticks of butter
then in a saucepan mix 1/2 cup kaluah and
1 tsp instant espresso and reduce by half.  The extra coffee powder will help give the icing a slight caramel color plus a little bit extra coffee flavor.  If you don't have espresso powder I just threw some coffee grinds in (like 1 TBS) and then strained it out so it would't leave flakes in my frosting.  Let this mixture cool down. 
      In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth being sure to scrape the bowl once or twice during this process.  Next add 3 LBS powdered sugar in 3 parts mixing on low speed between each one until they are all worked in, then add the kaluah reduction.  Beat on high speed for 2 min, scraping once or twice to make sure everything is fully incorporated. 
      Making sure the cakes are fully cooled put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup frosting between each layer and a thin crumb coat on the outside.  Place in the freezer for at least 30 min before putting a final layer on the outside.  Then chill for a minimum on 30 min before serving. 
      I will suggest making yourself a glass of milk before  you start in on this cake . . . or maybe a White Russian! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god I'm drooling...I want a piece soo bad, but I know better than to make such a beast, for every reason imaginable.

    ReplyDelete