Friday, September 14, 2012

Rotisserie Chicken Salad

      On Sundays at my grocery store they have rotisserie chickens for $5.  If I'm in the store I almost always buy one, but you know I don't always need dinner.  Often it ends up in a pot for soup, shredded to go into enchiladas, a pasta or rice dish the next day. Honestly even if Mark and I do eat some of it there is plenty left over for other projects.  My favorite thing to make though is chicken salad.  I make lots of different versions of chicken salad depending on my mood, but this one seems to be the one I end up with the most (mainly because these are the ingredients I almost always just have sitting around the apartment).
        Start by cleaning your chicken, taking most of the skin off and pulling the meat from the bones.  (Please don't throw the bones away, put them in the pot and make a stock! Stock is good for you.) Chop the meat then mix in
5 Green Onions, thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 apple, small diced before you put it in your salad soak it in some water with a little lemon juice (or any acid, I like cider vinegar, or just straight apple juice) this will keep them from turning brown. 
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 cup mayonaise
1 TBS Dijon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
      And done! Simple, but it's delicious and does the trick.  Using the whole rotisserie makes it super moist and gives a very rich flavor.  A nice thing to have around for a quick lunch or snack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment