Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wait a minute, you don't know how to do . . .That?

      I have to say, I am pooped.  Been working hard, working out, and trying to get so much done it makes my head spin.  I have not had time for any fun baking projects, or special meals.  Heck, I've been ordering take-out way too much this week.  But I wanted to start a little segment that answers some of the funny questions I've been getting most of my "adult" life (adult in this case being a relative term meaning, once I moved out of my parents house, and most of my friends were too).
      I have been cooking from a very young age, and there has always been good food at my house.  There was delicious thick cut sirloin steak, grilled in one giant piece to a beautiful medium rare then sliced for us to share with sweet potatoes served with honey, butter and brown sugar not to mention a beautiful fresh vegetable salad.  Or stir fries made from any number of meats and vegetables, over brown rice (dinner tonight actually).  Often we would just have a simple grilled chicken but there were always peppers, onions and mushrooms to be had, sauteed up with sliced potatoes and cajun seasoning .  I would often help my dad with his famous Chile Relleno Casserole which now that I think about it I will have to make soon and blog about for your eating pleasure.  Anyway, food is second nature to me, something that was just part of life, not some scary, complicated thing that mom or dad did in the kitchen that I wasn't allowed near until it was time to wash dishes.  It was this time when I was young learning to use a knife next to my father (and learning what to do when I got a really bad cut), or helping my mom with one of her parties,  that I really developed my passion for cooking, and eating, delicious food.
      For me the thought of someone leaving home not knowing how to do simple cooking tasks was just inconceivable.  I mean, really, shouldn't everyone know how to keep themselves fed, clothed and clean?  Well they don't.  Some people, I suppose, only learn these things when forced to be out on their own.  And when trial and error doesn't work, they find someone to ask.  I don't know why, but it seems, more often than not, that someone is me. 
      I remember one of the first times this happened, one of my room mates asked me to teach him how to make spaghetti.  I sent him to the store with a list of things like onions, basil, oregano, garlic Italian sausage, tomato products and any other things needed to make a beautiful meat sauce.  Get a call from him at the store, and it went something like this, "um, Eva? Why do I need all of this stuff?  Don't I just need a can of spaghetti sauce, some ground beef and some noodles?"  I seriously thought I was going to die.  But I simply asked "Wait a minute, you don't know how to do. . . That?!?"  So I amended my list, and he came back to the house with just what he wanted, a can of sauce, beef, noodles, Parmesan, and for good measure some frozen garlic bread.  Can't have spaghetti without garlic bread you know.
      After dispelling the idea that one cooks pasta in the same manner as rice I began the lesson.  First things first, you need a big pot of slightly salty water, you want lots of space for the pasta to move around so it doesn't stick together.  Secondly, oil floating on top of your water does nothing to keep it from sticking together, so don't waste your oil that way, just wait until after the noodles are cooked to drizzle oil on and toss them to keep them separated.  While your water is coming to a boil, turn the oven on and pop the garlic bread in.  Brown the meat, drain all that excess fat, add the sauce.  Bring it to a simmer and turn off, you just need it hot, not trying to add extra flavor.  Once the water comes to a boil throw the noodles in the pot, and give them an occasional stir.
      Lots of people will tell you lots of different ways to check your pasta.  I remember growing up there was the theory that pasta, when finished cooking, could be thrown up on the wall or ceiling and would stick.  This might be true, but it leads to pasta on walls and ceilings. . . I find the best thing to do is start by looking at the cook time on the box, if it says 10-12 min, set a timer for 10, pull a piece out and bite off a piece of it.  If it is still white on the inside and crunchy, it needs to go longer.  If it's not white any longer, but still chewy, it needs to go longer, it's done when it is tender with just a little bit of bite, but not soggy.  If it is all soggy looking take it out quick!!!! (By the way, at this point in the lesson I'm pretty sure he was lost and just wanted me to cook his dinner, but still you got to give him credit for trying.) Next, drain the pasta in a colander, yes, I know this seems obvious, but after the "Don't I cook it like rice?" comment I'm saying it. 
      The rest, of course, is just a matter of putting sauce on noodles, topping that with cheese and being on your way.  Not forgetting the garlic bread, or turning the oven and stove off!
      To most of you reading this you know all of these things, and I hope this has been a fun antidote of good times, but to that one person who really doesn't know.  I hope this helps, and no, you are not stupid, you just didn't know.  And you know what?  We love you anyway!

PS.  I want to do more of these, and I have a few more stories to tell, but if you or someone you love has questions of your own, please let me know!  I am always happy to teach someone that the kitchen does not have to be a scary place, and that sharp knives are always better than dull ones!
    

1 comment:

  1. Ya know... For the longest time I had thought that about cooking rice. It's done like pasta, right? Of course, I don't eat/make rice very often, so the first time I did, I actually googled it, as well as checked the package. It was a revelation.

    ReplyDelete