Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rotel Chicken

      I'm sure by now you all think that I eat nothing but gourmet meals and spend all day cooking.  Well the truth of it is that when I get home just like everyone else often the last thing I can think of is cooking dinner, especially after a long day in the kitchen.  But we all have to eat and on those days where I am just too tired to do much else I tend to turn to my freezer and pantry.  Luckily one of our favorite pantry meals is far better than the meals that most cooks eat after a long shift: things like taquidos, frozen pizzas, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, ramen, or just a bag of chips and dip and maybe some ice cream.  Because , I tend to work breakfast I'm usually not this bad, and I do seem to have a little more time to cook, but still I'm not always in the mood to do more than the bare minimum.
      This is a bare minimum recipe.  Rotel chicken has 5 simple ingredients
chicken breast-this recipe will make enough sauce for 2-4 breasts
seasoned flour for dusting the chicken, just flour with salt and pepper.  I keep some in a plastic container in the fridge for whenever I want to cook some chicken with a little bit of breading.  
butter, a couple of TBS for the pan to make a little bit of pan roux
1 can, rotel
1/2 cup cream
      Melt your butter in a pan, pound the chicken breast and coat them with the seasoned flour and sear in the pan.  Once one side is cooked and you have flipped the chicken over add another tbs of flour and stir into the butter.  Then  cover with the rotel and cream.  Cover and cook for 10-15 min, until the chicken is cooked through.
      I usually serve this on top of brown or jasmine rice, but it is delicious on top of pasta, mashed potatoes or what about a bed of lightly sauteed vegetables.  Just because food is simple doesn't mean it can't taste good.  And it's funny, of all the delicious foods I make this is what Mark asks for the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment