Saturday, December 8, 2012

Almond Joy No Bake Cookies

      This week has been a bit hectic, some big changes at work and a big order for desserts.  I've been baking all morning, and getting pound cakes in at night-- three of them so far.  One of the little treats I've done for this project are some coconut almond no bake cookies. 
      This recipe was adapted from the chocolate oatmeal cookies we've been making around the house for as long as I can remember.  Part of what made those cookies were so addictive was that they are quick and easy to make and we almost always had the ingredients around.  I've been playing around with substituting coconut for the oatmeal and finally decided that to be safe (because I have been having trouble finding gluten free quick oats) that I wanted to pull the oatmeal completely out of the recipe.  So this is what I ended up with. 
      Start by laying out some parchment paper, to drop the cookies on when they are finished.  Then melt
1 cup butter mix in
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 TBS coco powder
Bring this to a boil and set your timer for 3 minutes.  Turn it down to medium high and let it continue to boil.  While all of this is going on measure out
2 1/2 Cups Coconut
1 Cup sliced almonds
and put asideWhen your 3 minutes is up remove from the heat and stir in
1 Tsp Vanilla and the coconut and almonds.  Quickly scoop it out into individual cookies onto your parchment paper.  You can use two spoons, that's what we always did as kids, or you can use a small ice cream disher.  Move quickly, they cool and firm up farily quickly.  Once they are dropped allow them to cool for at least a half an hour, or you could just eat them all hot and gooey, and try not to burn your fingers. 

1 comment:

  1. My childhood cookies too!!!!!!! You're right! They were additive. I haven't made them in years. I might have to make them soon.. Thanks for the memory!!!! Your Cocomut/Almond version sounds divine!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete