Friday, November 23, 2012

Pear Brandy

      Today, on Black Friday, as many of you were up early waiting in line for the best sales of the season, I was curled up warm in my bed thinking about my plans for Christmas.  I was thinking about oysters and collards, roast beef, a very interesting version of gratin potatoes, about snacks and candies and what I'm going to put into those treat boxes I make every year.  Then this morning, as I sat and ate some leftover turkey and stuffing for breakfast a decision was made:  Today I am getting pear brandy started. 
      I've been thinking about pear brandy for a couple weeks now, actually.  Back in Oregon they had this lovely local brandy that we would use for our egg nog (the nog is special too, but will have to come in a later post, as I want my brandy for it).  I've been doing some research and I certainty don't want to make brandy.  I'm not entirely certain it's legal, and I just don't have the time or patience for it, so next best thing, we'll infuse it.  This is a two step process, but is pretty simple.  For the first step you will need 2 things
12 oz Brandy, I found a white brandy distilled from grapes, it will be prettier in the end than a brown brandy.  The white will develop a bit of a tawny color as the pear steeps that will look very nice as you bottle it. 
1 Pear, peeled, cut in halves and cored
Pour the Brandy over the pear and put into a sealed container.  Put it on the shelf for at least week or two and let that flavor infuse.  The next step will sweeten it to make it more like a liquor.  You are going to add pear simple syrup to the mix
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Water
another Pear, peeled, cored and sliced
1 vanilla bean ( or cinnamon stick, maybe some ginger)

      Heat these together, stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the pot to a boil then remove from the heat.  Let the mixture cool at room temperature.  Add the cooled mixture to the brandy and let it steep for another 3-4 days.  Strain through a coffee filter to get all the little particles of pear out.  Store up to two months.  Here is a great website if you are looking for ways to bottle some for gifts.  Use it in Nog, mix it with champagne, or cider, use it to enhance wine and add some sliced fruit for a sangria.  remember to save the pears you strain out of the brandy, they will make a great addition to a dessert, or to add to that sangria!
      Hope you enjoy this little treat as much as I do, and I'll post more pictures as my process gets further along.  Enjoy, and have a safe and merry holiday season!


UPDATE 12/16/12
Just wanted you all to know that I lied, I thought (after making some apple cider vodka) that the pear would turn the brandy brown, but failed to remember that the vodka had a cinnamon stick which made the whole concoction brown.  But have no fear, after finishing it tonight, even though it isn't that beautiful tawny color I was talking about, it is still delicious and amazing in my egg nog.  Also, just to warn you, it is very dangerous because it is wonderfully smooth and it doesn't really taste like booze.  MMMMM, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment