Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tripple Chocolate Cookies GLUTEN FREE!

WARNING! THESE COOKIES MUST BE EATEN WITH MILK!!!
My friends laugh at me a lot.  They just can't imagine how I can spend my whole day at work cooking then come home and do it all over again.  The truth of the matter is that I am really passionate about cooking, and just having and sharing good food.  I ended up unexpectedly being off work today, so I had to bake something.  Not really sure why these cookies came to mind, probably just needed some chocolate, but it was a good decision.
      This is an alteration of a recipe they gave me in culinary school, it's one of the few they gave me that I still use.  They weren't originally gluten free, but making gluten free chocolate baked items it is actually pretty easy.  I look for recipes that have very little flour to start out with because you can substitute coco powder for flour in small amounts.  Too much and it just becomes overwhelming, though I find you can take most recipes, and make it magically chocolate (I'm thinking things like chocolate pound cake) by substituting a portion of the flour with coco powder.  
      To make the cookies preheat the oven to 350 and start by melting
1/2 cup (3 oz) unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cup (8 oz) dark chocolate and
3 TBS butter over a double boiler.
In a mixer whip  
3/4 cup sugar  with
 2 eggs until they are light and fluffy then change to the paddle attachment and add in
1 tsp vanilla followed by the melted chocolate mixture.  Next in a separate bowl mix
1/2 cup coco powder (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cake flour, you know if it's just too much chocolate for you)
1 tsp baking powder and
1/2 tsp salt.   Not necessary, but I also usually add 1/2 tsp chipotle powder at this point,  it's nice because it cuts through all of that chocolate, and I fully admit I'm a chocolate and chili fiend.  The coco mixture is added to the mixer and gently beat in.  As soon as it combines add
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
spoon onto a sheet pan and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.  The warmer they are when they go into the oven the more they spread.  I like to cool them for a few minutes in the fridge before they go in because they stay nice and tall and end up a bit gooier.  After they are done baking let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes then transfer them to a wire cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment